What is Ergonomics?
Ergonomics is the science of fitting an environment to a person’s needs with the aim of reducing discomfort and increasing efficiency and productivity.
Working at a desk for prolonged hours places a great deal of strain on the spine and can cause neck, shoulder, and back pain. In recent years, the education and importance of ergonomics have grown as a result of greater emphasis on workplace productivity and leading healthier lifestyles.
What Could be Causing My Pain?
Incorrect posture, bad placement of keyboards, monitor screens at the wrong height and poor lighting can all be the cause of neck and back pain.
How Can Physiotherapy Help?
Our ergonomics programme takes an in-depth analysis of your body’s current postural alignment and structural balance. We look at how you currently sit at your workstation, suggest changes to optimize your setup and provide you with a plan going forward to address your musculoskeletal deficits. This is complemented with an endurance-based strengthening program focused on strengthening the postural muscles.
- Work station assessment including desk, chair, computer & lighting
- Musculoskeletal assessment
- Postural alignment and structural balance assessment
Ergonomic Treatments & Advice
- Advice on optimising work station set-up in the office
- Recommendations on basic proper equipment
- Soft tissue release
- Graded joint mobilizations
- Active range of motion stretching
- Progressive exercise plan, including sitting stretches and strengthening
- Education about managing long periods of sitting e.g. changing positions, usage of standing desk