Running Assessment Programme
For runners of all experience levels
Whether you are preparing for a marathon, or are a recreational runner beginning a training program, a running assessment offered by our physiotherapists is a great place to start improving your overall performance and form, injury-free!
What is a Running Assessment?
A Running Assessment is an effective method of assessing your running technique in our clinics’ treadmills. Our physiotherapists will conduct a full gait and running style analysis to assess your running biomechanics. From there, they can identify any areas for improvement and provide you with a programme to improve running technique and help you reach your goals.
How Does This Running Assessment Programme Help?
At Prohealth Sports And Spinal, we believe that a good running style and correct muscle balance will lead to better running performance, faster recovery from injury, and prevention of possible future injuries. Whether you are a recreational runner or an elite athlete of any age, our expert physiotherapists can provide an in-depth analysis to ascertain where your asymmetries are and develop a customised programme to address any biomechanical issues.
This programme will assist you in planning for your first marathon, or if it’s your dream to spend days running across a desert, we can advise you on how to maintain optimal performance and remain injury-free.
These sessions will cover comprehensive discussions on current injuries, advice on common injuries like patellofemoral pain and Achilles tendinopathy, the best treatment approaches, footwear recommendations and a customised running-specific exercise prescription plan that is tailored to your strength, flexibility, alignment and movement capacity.
Your First Initial Assessment
Here is what you can expect during your first Running Assessment session at Sports & Spinal:
- Detailed subjective assessment of where you feel your issues are and how you wish to improve – This will also include a discussion about your training programme, footwear analysis, any mechanical inefficiencies, tissue stress, incorrect movement patterns etc.
- Full assessment of body alignment, posture, and leg length
- Full testing of muscle length with an emphasis on those muscles specifically designed for running
- Full testing of muscle strength with an emphasis on core muscles and those specifically required for running; this will include Real Time Ultrasound imaging of core muscles to identify any weaknesses
- Video gait analysis using a treadmill and computer software to obtain a full picture of your running style
- Discussion of assessment results and a treatment plan will be devised
Subsequent Sessions Include:
- Discussion of any issues that may have arisen since initial assessment, addressing running fault
- Manual physiotherapy treatment as required
- Individualised rehabilitation programme incorporating mobility exercises and/ or strengthening exercise prescription programme initiated using clinical Pilates and/ or gym equipment within the clinic
- Review and progression of home exercise prescription programme that includes a report with a rehab plan based on your needs
Latest Physio Tips & Articles
The Best Gift Ideas from Our Physiotherapists! With the festive season coming up very soon, you may be struggling to…
Is Your Neck Causing Your Headache? Have you been suffering from headaches for a long time? Did you know the…
Osteoporosis and Osteopenia: Facts about your bone health you should know What is osteoporosis and osteopenia? Osteoporosis is defined by the…