CLINICAL PILATES PROGRAMME (LEVELS 1 – 3)
HOW DOES OUR CLINICAL PILATES PROGRAMME HELP?
ProHealth Sports and Spinal clinical Pilates programmes are categorised into three core levels of principles. A physiotherapist will always conduct a thorough one-on-one initial assessment.
The assessment will be tailored to your specific needs/goals and will include:
- Assessment of muscle activation patterns in daily functional tasks
- Assessment of task specific activities that you want to improve on i.e squat technique, golf swing for golfers etc.
- Core muscle assessment via Real Time Ultrasound
- Global muscle strength assessment
- Flexibility assessment
- Developing holistic fitness goals based on your needs
- Advice on other therapies/ exercises/ diet/ lifestyle that can be used in conjunction to clinical Pilates
- Devising a specific home exercise programme after each session to address specific goals
*Please enquire via phone or email about special package rates for specialty treatment plans
Clinical Pilates Programme: consists of Levels 1 to 3
LEVEL 1 – UP TO 5 SESSIONS
This level is for anyone wanting to gain an understanding of basic core strengthening/ Pilates principles.
We will target the following basic areas:
- Activating stability/’core’ muscles in static positions
- Breathing control
- Body Alignment
- Control in movement
- Neuro-muscular patterning
This will be incorporated initially to static positions then progressed to simple lower limb and upper limb movements.
You can then take these principles away and incorporate them into your daily practices, postures and exercise routine. We will also look at applying these basic principles to more task specific activities depending on your progress.
The information you will learn in this package is highly specific. Real Time Ultrasound is used to isolate your core muscles and teach you the correct methods of activation, something that is not ordinarily available at an exercise class environment. This package is appropriate for beginner level practices.
LEVEL 2 – UP TO 10 SESSIONS
We will progress to higher level activities once the basic techniques have been mastered. This package is ideal for those looking to incorporate Pilates safely as part of their fitness routine and under the one-on-one guidance of a trained physiotherapist.
We can work towards increasing:
- Endurance whilst addressing correct and safe Pilates techniques
LEVEL 3 – UP TO 15 SESSIONS
This package is for those who would like to continue using clinical Pilates as a component of their fitness schedule or someone who requires more extensive rehabilitation. Recommended for higher level athletes, you will be assisted with mastering clinical Pilates techniques that reinforce correct bio-mechanical patterns.
The one-on-one sessions at Level three are most ideal:
- As a way to incorporate regular exercise for those who have a history of pain and injury
- To devise a custom and comprehensive rehabilitation programme to manage and eliminate your pain symptoms
- Help you on your path to achieving specific fitness goals
* All clinical Pilates sessions are conducted one-on-one with a qualified physiotherapist.
Q: WHAT IS CLINICAL PILATES AND ITS BENEFITS?
In its simplest form, clinical Pilates can:
- Safely and effectively exercise your individual body to optimise and address movement patterns.
- Achieve health goals not limited to core strength, flexibility, global muscular strength and endurance.
- Achieve high level athletic performance.
- Be varied to suit your own individual goals and body limitations to improve overall function and fitness
Q: WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOGA AND PILATES?
Yoga is recommended for those without previous injury or pain to achieve increased flexibility. Since yoga works into end-of-range postures, those without a proper understanding of body mechanics can be at a higher risk of injury. That’s why, clinical Pilates is an ideal way to increase strength, flexibility, coordination, endurance and fitness without increasing the risk of a ‘flare-up’ or injury.
Q: WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM CLINICAL PILATES?
- Anyone can benefit from Clinical Pilates.
- For the majority, we all have idiosyncrasies in our movement patterns that can lead to bio-mechanical inefficiencies, which in-turn can manifest in a variety of ways, including but not limited to poor training capacity, increased risk of injury, re-occurring injuries, inability to develop or consolidate skills etc.
WHAT PATIENTS SAY ABOUT OUR PHYSIOTHERAPISTS
After treating my wrist with no lasting improvements, I was fortunate to have been referred to Charmaine. After my first session, I saw immediate and lasting improvements. Since healing my wrist, she diagnosed and treated my underlying problem to my back and shoulders. She lifted the boulder off my back that I had since I started college. Charmaine uses a combination of Western and Chinese techniques to treat the underlying problem with strong focus on manual therapy. I cannot recommend Charmaine more highly.
I have consulted Charmaine in a number of areas including back, neck, shoulder and knee pain and always found her to be dynamic in her solutions and we have enjoyed a high degree of success together in keeping me hiking, in the gym and swimming. Charmaine‘s assessments are always very thorough and I have developed more confidence in her diagnoses. Expect massage, stretch, acupuncture and work in the gym. Our work together after a skiing accident in 2013 led directly to me being able to hike in Bhutan only six weeks afterwards.
I practice combat sports and I have accumulated a number of injuries over the years. Of all physios I’ve tried in Hong Kong and abroad, Aggie is clearly the best for me. She combines serious manipulation with thorough rehab work and has brought me back to top form more than once.
I just wanted to thank Dina again. Though I still have some pain it’s far less than before and my mobility is almost back to normal. Most importantly, I think Dina has managed to diagnose the underlying problem and I now believe that the pain can be eradicated altogether over time, which is a really great feeling as I’ve suffered on and off with this knee trouble for so long now.
Thank you for the care and support Dina has given me through the most difficult time of my life. She is a part of my healing journey. I have regained my physical mobility and strength which I am so thankful to have back.
Here are some exercises which demonstrate the different levels of clinical Pilates. All sessions are conducted one-on-one with a certified clinical Pilates instructor/ physiotherapist who will custom plan and facilitate these exercises to work on your conditions.
Exercise recommendations and physio in photo: Upekha Senaweera
CLINICAL PILATES FOR BEGINNERS: RIBCAGE ALIGNMENT
CLINICAL PILATES FOR BEGINNERS: SUPINE CLAMS
CLINICAL PILATES FOR BEGINNERS: TRANSVERSE ABDOMINALS (TA) ACTIVATION